Fayetteville State University continues helping Cumberland Counties’ low-income and first-generation high school youth in recognizing and developing their potential in STEM through the TRIO Upward Bound Math & Science Program

Fayetteville State University has received notification of funding in the amount of $1,319,690 for an Upward Bound Math & Science Program (UBMS).  The TRIO program is designed to help students recognize and develop their potential to excel in math and science and to encourage them to pursue postsecondary degrees in math and science, and ultimately careers in the math and science profession.  Upward Bound Math & Science provides Saturday Academy classes, academic counseling and advisement, college campus tours, and a six-week non-residential program that exposes students to STEM careers.  The program will serve students in the 9th-12th grades that attend Douglas Byrd High, South View High and Westover High.

Kiante’ Bennett, President of the sophomore class at Fayetteville State University said “TRiO Upward Bound Math and Science will always be apart of my life because the program helped me to become who I am today. I joined the program as a freshman in high school at Douglas Byrd High. Upward Bound Math & Science provided me the opportunity to learn about STEM careers and provided me with scholarship information to help me go to college. As well, I took advantage of every single educational field trip to include the Center for Disease Control, Columbia University, Spelman College, Harlem and the list goes on! As a participant in the program, I learned about an opportunity to get an internship during the summer of my senior year.  This internship introduced me to the concept of networking and it enhanced my knowledge within the world of science and technology! The TRIO experience allowed me to be exposed to so much at such a young age.”  Bennett reflects “High school can be a challenging time for students, Upward Bound Math & Science believed in me at a time when I didn’t believe in myself.  Once you are apart of the TRIO family, you are ALWAYS apart of TRIO! I stand tall as a witness that #Trio Works!”

The Office of College Access and Success Programs’ mission is to encourage and assist youth who are traditionally under-represented in post-secondary education with preparation for, entry into, and completion of a post-secondary education.   The Office is comprised of federally funded programs that include 21st Century Community Learning Centers, TRIO Talent Search, TRIO Upward Bound, TRIO Upward Bound Math & Science, and AmeriCorps VISTA.

For additional information about the TRIO Upward Bound Math & Science Program, please visit www.uncfsu.edu/cap or call 910-672-1126.